Welcome to rasdaman -- the World's Leading Array Database
The rasdaman ("raster data manager") is the leading array analytics engine distinguished by its flexibility, performance, and scalability. Rasdaman embeds itself smoothly into PostgreSQL, but can also run standalone on file systems. In fact, rasdaman has pioneered Array Databases being the first fully implemented, operationally used system with an array query language and optimized processing engine; known rasdaman databases exceed 230 TB.
Next-Generation Geo Raster Server. Rasdaman is brought to you by the guys writing the geo raster standards, including OGC WCS and WCPS, the OGC raster query language. The Petascope component of rasdaman provides service interfaces based on the OGC WCS, WCPS, WCS-T, and WPS. For several of these, rasdaman will be reference implementation. Since April 2011, rasdaman is available on the OSGeo Live DVD (a short get started guide). A GDAL rasdaman driver is available, and likewise a MapServer integration (beta). A PostGIS query language integration is under work, see our planning. In comparison to PostGIS Raster, rasdaman scales and supports n-D instead of 2-D and automatizes tile management.
- June 2015 -- OpenHub attests rasdaman a "large team, in the top 10% of all project teams on Open Hub"
- February 2015 -- Currently we are aware of 230 TB of rasdaman databases of atmosphere, ocean, land, and planetary science data. Let us know if you have another Big Data instance running!
- December 2014 -- rasdaman 9.1 has been released, offering cool new features: new, dramatically faster communication protocol; builtin null / nodata value support; extended OGC support: WMS 1.3, WCS-T, overhauled WCPS, new sleek WCS client.
- November 2014 -- the rasdaman QGIS plugin has been approved and can easily be installed straight from QGIS...yet another powerful platform supported by rasdaman, in addition to GDAL, MapServer, and ERDAS Imagine.
- November 2014 -- in the final review of EU project EarthServer (which has substantially supported rasdaman community development!) reviewers were impressed by all the achievements; among others, at the premises of the European Space Agency (ESA) a 132 Terabyte rasdaman space/time database was built.
- October 2014 -- ohloh reports that the rasdaman codebase now is worth more than 7 million US$. wow.
- September 2014 -- rasdaman is winner of the Big Data Challenge of the international Copernicus Masters competition.
- June 2014 -- ISO SC32 WG3 (the SQL maintenance group) has agreed to establish an array extension to SQL, called MDA ("Multi-Dimensional Arrays"), based on the practice proven concepts of rasdaman.
- March 2014 -- version 9.0.1 has been released improving some issues observed during large-scale migration (release notes).
- February 23, 2014 -- rasdaman 9.0 has been officially released, see full release notes.
- January 2014 -- several more specifications crafted by the rasdaman team get adopted as official standards: WCS Scaling Extension, WCS Interpolation Extension, WCS Earth Observation Application Profile.
- December 16, 2013 -- the WCS Range Subsetting Extension, crafted by the rasdaman team, gets adopted as official OGC standard.
- December 06, 2013 -- rasdaman is OGC's official Reference Implementation for WCS Core:
- April 11, 2013 -- rasdaman PI Peter Baumann gives keynote lecture "Data, Metadata - Who Cares?" at EGU General Assembly, Vienna
- January 07, 2013 -- rasdaman becomes GEOSS component
- more news...
Download, Installation, Documentation
Go to the Download page for instructions. The installation steps are described on the Install page. There is ample documentation, including query and programming examples (check out our tutorial on spatio-temporal data with rasdaman too).
The Large-Scale Scientific Information Services research group at Jacobs University Bremen is the core development team. Feel free to contact us!
A dedicated research spin-off company, rasdaman GmbH, provides software enhancements, expert consultancy, participation in projects, and joint ventures on a commercial basis to foster widespread use of rasdaman.
See also the support page.
Interested in the scientific background? There is a host of publications available.
PS: Greetings to all rastafarians! wha'ppen, man?
(124.8 KB) -
added by pbaumann 6 years ago.
applications done with rasdaman: map navigation, satellite image time series, climate data, astrophysics, fluid dynamics, human brain imaging, gene expression analysis
(12.0 KB) -
added by pbaumann 3 years ago.
rasdaman rating by ohloh
(535.7 KB) -
added by pbaumann 2 years ago.
Earth, Space, Life science services...and beyond - with the Array Analytics Server, rasdaman.
(25.3 KB) -
added by pbaumann 19 months ago.
OGC listing of rasdaman as WCS Core Reference Implementation